Thursday, November 1, 2012

And then I got lazy...

VERY lazy. 
October has been an interesting month for me....

I'm going to start with some sad news.
One of the people from Young People Without Borders, Pat Cullen, was killed in a motorcycle collision in Vietnam. I didn't know Pat well, but we met at orientation - he was such an enigmatic person. His death really affected me, I think because he was only a year older than me. It's strange how someone so full of life can suddenly die. The reality of it is all too harsh.


On a more positive note, I'm now employed. I started work at Haigh's Chocolates on Tuesday, and it's been great so far. I'm living every child's dream. 

I've also been applying for a second job to fill up my free time. Shiels Jewellers is organising a meeting with the head office for me, and I have a group interview with Sanity music stores on Saturday. Yesterday I had an interview scheduled with The Haus, but the HR manager resigned two days after scheduling an interview with me, and didn't let anyone know. So, when I turned up everyone was just like "What!?" It was just a little bit awkward...

My TAFE course in Finance is practically finished - just one more thing to submit. I honestly can't wait to head to uni and get stuck into some hardcore studying. I've been experiencing intense boredom lately. In an attempt to occupy myself I tried learning AUSLAN (and gave that up) and German (gave that up also). I need some hobbies - big time.

I also went to Melbourne for a few days (courtesy of Young People Without Borders/Federation for Young Australians - thank you!) which was great since I got to see most people who went to India again. I stayed at the lovely Jean's house. We had a number of fun adventures - Mel and I getting off about five stops early trying to find Jean's house, going to Luna Park (bugger, it was closed) with Evelyn, Jono and Shari, then finding some incredible street art, Greenpeace video games, $1 champagne at the Asian Beer Cafe, late night  pancakes and Funky curry. Being me, of course I left something behind. I left my phone at Jean's place on the way to the promotional video for YPWB, caught the tram early to get back to Jean's place, realised halfway there that I'd left my bag back at the FYA headquarters, caught the tram back, then caught the tram AGAIN to Jean's house, found my phone, went to the airport. Only when I was back in Adelaide did I realise that I'd left my sleeping bag in Melbourne. F---!

And I attended some parties, which was unexpected since I always claim that I have no friends. Maybe I tend to exaggerate? I bought a sparkly, glittery hip flask to go to James' and a massive pair of wedges to compensate for my height.

Let's assume that I'm only going to post once a month. Then people will get surprised if I decide to do some random blogging.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So obviously the 'polished nuts' comment didnt hurt your chances with the job ;-)

Unknown said...

Luckily they didn't associate me with your comment. Probably also a good thing that the kids you said that in front of hadn't yet hit puberty, so they had no idea what you were on about ;)