Thursday, November 1, 2012

Reminiscing: Queensland

I'm not very consistent at this blogging thing - I completely forgot to mention my trip to Queensland back in September. I think I need a prompt sheet or something.

My awesome second cousin Andrew paid for my flights to Brisbane as a late birthday present (7 months late, it's no big deal ;D). Actually, I think it's better that they were late because otherwise I wouldn't have met my baby cousin Xander (and what a little cutie he is).

Andrew got me onto Rekorderlig Pear Cider (which is amazing, try it if you haven't), and there were many failed attempts at finding an alcoholic beverage suited to me. Turns out elder flower liqueur and muscato are hits, being the massive sweet tooth that I am...

I spent several days in the pool and the spa. I watched my first episode of Star Wars (IV and V, if you were wondering) and the Family Guy spoofs. We made mango/lychee ice cream, visited the markets and I was an occasional baby sitter. Life was good. Then something incredible happened.

Audrey, my childhood best friend, who I hadn't seen since I was six years old was in Brisbane. Incredible, for once in my life timing was on my side. It's a shame that the locals weren't. I agreed to meet Audrey at South Bank. Not knowing the area, I asked one of the locals to point me in the right direction. They pointed me in the right direction all right. What was potentially a five minute walk turned into a two hour walk under the blazing sun. When I finally met up with Audrey, she had been waiting for me an hour and a half, I turned up bright red with sunburn, and limping from blisters caused by my ballet flats. People passing us literally thought I had some sort of disability (I still cringe at that thought). But after 12 years, Audrey didn't mind waiting that extra hour and a half. She felt sorry for me, the sore, red being that I was and even bought me lunch (I'll settle the score when I visit England, eventually). I can't believe how well we actually got on. You'd think that after that long we'd be completely different, but we managed to giggle together like we were little girls again, it was incredible, even if she is a vegetarian (I joke, I joke. I love you, Audrey).

My Facebook input for the day was:
She thought I was just going on holiday to Australia. Twelve years later we're reunited for the first time since we were six. It's incredible to think that after all this time we were able to laugh like we were within seconds of seeing each other. Only difference is that now it's a bit awkward sharing a bath!
In case you hadn't figured it out, I think I'm much wittier than I actually am, so I take joy in posting the statuses I put on Facebook on my blog.

That was the last day in Queensland, as Andrew, Sonya, Xander and I were about to drive from Brisbane to Adelaide: 2,000 km in two days. Well, Andrew drove. I wasn't much help, I kept falling asleep in the back seat next to Xander. We stopped overnight in Cobar, where part of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert was filmed, which I couldn't help but find amusing.

Back in Adelaide, we relaxed, but Xander was reluctant to get in the car after spending all that time in there! Mum gave me the ultimate surprise. She'd adopted Tigger from the Animal Shelter, and now he's legally mine. We took a tour around Haigh's Chocolate factory ("research" for my interview), which Andrew ruined by making an innuendo about "polished nuts". Luckily the kids on the tour didn't realise what he was actually referring to...

Anyhow, it's 1:20am and I can't sleep. Now that I've said that I'll probably fall asleep instantly. Nighty night.

No comments: