Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Leaving India


In the words of Jawaharlal Nehru: "India is a geographical and economic entity, a cultural unity amidst diversity, a bundle of contradictions held together by strong but invisible threads".

After living in India for the past four months I can say that I agree wholeheartedly with India's first prime minister. These past months have been absolutely intense; I've been experiencing a completely different life to the one that I lead in Adelaide. Being in a country where the poor and the wealthy live (in some cases quite literally) side by side really opens your eyes up to the harsh realities of life. It's not uncommon to see BMWs parked only a couple of metres from the slums, and yet majority of the population don't even think twice about it.


In the following blog posts I will attempt to convey some of my experiences in India over the past few months: the good, the bad and the ugly. Overall, I did have an incredible experience, and met a number of interesting people with whom I shared these experiences with.  Despite any of my not-so-great experiences, I am pleased to have had this opportunity to experience Hindustani culture and to expand my global awareness. 

I will be back in Adelaide on Friday at 8:10am. Until then, namaste!

No comments: